Any household product that you no longer want, but which should not be put in the garbage or washed down the drain, is considered household hazardous waste (HHW).
Many of these items are toxic, corrosive, or flammable. All of them have the potential to adversely impact the environment if not disposed of properly.
Toxic – has the ability to cause illness or injury if inhaled, ingested, absorbed through the skin, or injected. Toxicity is measured by how much of the substance is required to produce harmful effects. Products which may contain toxic substances include pesticides and herbicides, household cleaners, antifreeze, compact fluorescent lights, and pharmaceuticals.
Corrosive – dissolves metals or burns the skin. Household products which may contain corrosive ingredients include pool chemicals, household cleaners, rust removers, and drain openers.
Flammable – ignites more easily or at lower temperatures. Common flammable products include gasoline, solvents (mineral spirits, paint thinner, nail polish remover), adhesives, charcoal, and mothballs. Some items, such as bleach and hydrogen peroxide, are not flammable, but they may help cause or accelerate combustion.