Public Health and Environmental Quality



The City of Grand Prairie is aware that noise negatively affects human health and well-being. The objective of Grand Prairie’s Noise Program is to abate any noise that may lead to poor environmental health. Complaints of noise from stationary sources (i.e. construction sites, gas/water drilling, industrial machinery, etc.) are investigated by Environmental Quality regarding conformance with Article XIII of the City of Grand Prairie Ordinance.

How can I tell if a noise is dangerous? People differ in their sensitivity to noise. As a general rule, noise may damage your hearing if you have to shout over background noise to make yourself heard, the noise hurts your ears, it makes your ears ring, or you have difficulty hearing for several hours after exposure to the noise.

How do I report noises that are too loud? Concerns of a potential noise violation can be reported to the City of Grand Prairie at 972-237-8055. Offices are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday, excluding holidays. Noises concerning moving vehicles can be reported to the City of Grand Prairie Police Department 972-237-8790.

What if my hearing is already damaged? How can I tell?
Hearing loss usually develops over a period of several years. If you have any of these symptoms, you may have nothing more serious than impacted wax or an ear infection, which might be simply corrected. However, it might be hearing loss from noise. In any case, take no chances with noise—the hearing loss it causes is permanent. If you suspect a hearing loss, consult a physician with special training in ear care and hearing disorders (called an otolaryngologist or otologist). This doctor can diagnose your hearing problem and recommend the best way to manage it.