Right-of-Way Easement Abandonment Application

An abandonment relinquishes the city’s interest in all or a portion of the previously dedicated public easement or street or alley right-of-way, thereby giving a property owner more usable area. A property owner may apply to abandon easements on his/her property or right-of-way/alley adjacent to his/her property. Abandonment does not assign ownership or affect other property rights in the abandoned property, but rather releases the city’s interest in the area.  

Applicants seeking abandonment of a right-of-way or easement or must process a request with the Right-of-Way and Property Management Division.

Application Requirements

Step 1.Review Requirements

The following is required prior to issuance of a Easement Abandonment Application:

  • The application must be signed by the applicant (all property owners must sign the application) and notarized, and should include clearly legible contact information such as names, addresses, telephone numbers and fax numbers are needed to ensure timely processing;  
  • A sketch or description of the area sought to be abandoned must be marked “Exhibit A” and attached to the application. This sketch or description must be sufficient enough of a description for a staff review. The staff may be able to provide an acceptable legal description in some cases, but a metes and bounds legal description must be provided, after City staff approval. This description of the proposed abandonment area must be from a licensed professional surveyor, signed and sealed prior to submittal to the City Council. This description will be part of the abandonment Ordinance submitted to the City Council for consideration;

  • The applicant is responsible for circulating the application to the utility companies listed on “Exhibit B” and securing the signatures of the authorized representatives prior to submitting the application to the City. Faxed or scanned signatures are acceptable;

  • The applicant should provide a brief description of why the abandonment is needed. What type of easement is sought to be abandoned and any known current or previous uses of the easement;

  • A copy of the applicant’s recorded deed to the underlying property is needed to ensure ownership and to verify the correct name or names to be used on the actual abandonment ordinance which is to be approved by the City Council and recorded in the County Deed Records.

Step 2.Apply Online

You can apply online for a "Right of Way - Easement Abandonment" through the City of Grand Prairie's Customer Self-Service portal . First time users will need a valid email address to set up an account. It takes about 5 minutes to create a new account.

Apply Online

What next?

Generally, complete applications are scheduled for City Council action within six to eight weeks after submittal, provided no objections are received.

Application Fees

  • Easement Abandonment Application Fee: $250. 
  • Application and payment are submitted through the online Self-Service portal.