Starting a Business in Grand Prairie

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find a site location for my business?

Contact Grand Prairie Economic Development at 972-237-8160 or 972-237-8327 for information for site location searches.

How do I get a "certificate of occupancy"?

A certificate of occupancy authorizes the use of building and/or vacant land.

View the Certificate of Occupancy web page for more information or contact the City of Grand Prairie's Building Inspections Division:

Building Inspections Division
300 West Main St.
Grand Prairie, TX 75050

How do I register my business name?

Assumed Name / Doing Business As (DBA):

Register your business name in the county or counties in which you will do business.

Dallas County Clerk, Assumed Name (DBA)
(214) 653-7099 |

Tarrant County Clerk, Assumed Name (DBA)

State Requirements for Assumed Business Name Certificate

A domestic or foreign corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or other foreign filing entity that regularly conducts business or renders a professional service in this state under a name other than its legal name (the name stated in its certificate of formation or comparable document) must file an assumed name certificate with the secretary of state and with the county clerk in the appropriate county.

Contact the Texas Secretary of State Office for information: 512-463-5555.

What licenses and permits do I need?

The City of Grand Prairie does not issue or require a "business license."

You will need a certificate of occupancy for your place of business (contact the city's Building Inspections Division, 300 W. Main St., 972-237-8230). If you are working out of your home, you may also need to obtain a certificate of occupancy.

For food establishments, a health permit is required.

For alcohol sales, an alcohol permit is required.

For information on other licenses and permits, see the Environmental Services Permits & Policies webpage.

Does the city offer grants or loans to businesses?

The city of Grand Prairie does not offer grants or loans to businesses. City Council-approved incentives may be available, depending on added taxable investment and added jobs. Visit our Incentives webpage to learn about incentive programs offered by the city.

What is required for restaurants?

Food service permits are issued by the City of Grand Prairie Environmental Quality Division.

Visit the Food Service Permits webpage for more information.

Do I need a sales tax permit?

Visit the Texas Comptroller Texas Online Tax Registration webpage for information on sales tax permits.

Who handles taxes on business personal property?

File your Business Personal Property (BPP) rendition (April 15th deadline each year) to county appraisal district.

Tarrant Appraisal District (TAD)
2500 Handley-Ederville Road
Fort Worth, TX 76118-6982

Dallas Central Appraisal District (DCAD)
2949 North Stemmons Freeway
Dallas, TX 75247
Customer Service: 214-631-0910
Main Switchboard: 214-631-0520

How do I promote my new business?

Contact the Grand Prairie Chamber of Commerce or the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce for information on becoming a member and resources on marketing, networking and ribbon cuttings for your new business in Grand Prairie.

Small Business Resource Portal

Whether you are an aspiring entrepreneur or an established business owner, the Governor’s Small Business Resource Portal will provide you with the most relevant resources and contacts to help you find success. This important tool offers a customized list of useful business resources to assist you in starting or growing your business in Texas.

The portal is easy to access and use—simply answer five short questions to generate your tailored resource list.

Types of information included in the portal:

  • Federal, State and Local Resources
  • Business Advice and Growth Assistance
  • Funding Sources
  • Additional Specific Resources
  • Small Business Webinars & Resources
  • Start Business
  • Moving Your Business to Texas
  • Business Permitting

Regional Resources

County Appraisal Districts:

Tarrant Appraisal District (TAD)

Dallas Central Appraisal District (DCAD)

Small Business Administration - DFW Office

SCORE Counselors

Business Centers and Libraries:

Fort Worth Business Assistance Center

State Resources:

Texas Secretary of State 512-463-5555

Texas State Comptroller's Office 800-252-5555

Office of the Governor
Economic Development and Tourism Division 800-843-5789

Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission
Dallas Enforcement District 6 (North Region Main Office) 214-678-4000

Texas Workforce Commission Tax Department East Central Region 512-463-3642

Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations 800-803-9202

Texas Department of State Health Services 512-458-7111