Browse the list below to find information on how to recycle/dispose of special items. For more information, call the Environmental Services department at 972-237-8055.
Note: The City of Grand Prairie does not endorse any private business. Any businesses mentioned are merely listed for your convenience.
(alkaline, car batteries, rechargeable batteries, etc.)
Alkaline batteries can be thrown away, though are sometimes accepted with rechargeable batteries when recycling.
Rechargeable batteries can be recycled at your nearest Batteries Plus, Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowe’s, or Staples.
Car batteries can be recycled at Batteries Plus, and can sometimes be recycled at an auto parts store such as AutoZone or O’Reilly Auto Parts for a credit. Please call ahead of time to verify with the store.
Most chemicals can be disposed of at the Fort Worth Environmental Collection Center (ECC). Grand Prairie residents are allowed to dispose of residential hazardous waste at the Fort Worth ECC by providing proof of residence with a current water bill or valid driver’s license.
The City of Grand Prairie also hosts Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) events at the Development Center throughout the year. Most types of residential waste are accepted, but please be sure to register ahead of time as space is limited.
Trees free of ornaments, stands, and plastic bags can be recycled for free in the two weeks following Christmas (December 25) at the landfill. Artificial trees and trees sprayed with artificial snow cannot be accepted for recycling. Acceptable trees will be recycled into mulch, which is free and available at the landfill to all Grand Prairie residents. Trees can also be collected on your normal garbage collection day, but will be collected as garbage rather than recycled.
Recycling stations for trees that meet these guidelines are located at:
- Charley Taylor Recreation Center parking lot, 601 E Grand Prairie Rd
- Parkhill Park parking lot, 5100 Block of S. Robinson Rd
- Grand Prairie Landfill, 1102 MacArthur Blvd
The City of Grand Prairie offers residents the following free options for recycling electronics:
- Residents may take electronic waste to the Grand Prairie Landfill (1102 MacArthur Blvd.) for recycling during normal operating hours; or
- Residents may take electronic waste to one of the upcoming electronics recycling events scheduled throughout the year at 300 W. Main Street. Space is limited and registration is required: Learn more and register online or call 972-237-4578.
Industrial metals can be disposed of at the landfill with construction and demolition waste or recycled through a metals recycler.
Aluminum and tin cans can be recycled in your curbside recycling bin.
Can be taken to the landfill for a fee:
- Auto/pickup truck: $1/tire for up to 4 tires/visit
- Truck tires: $5/tire for up to 2 tires/visit
- Tractor tires: $10/tire for 1 tire/visit.
Solid or pressed forklift, golf cart, and lawn mower tires are not recyclable and can be thrown away.