The Grand Prairie Fire Department has been in existence for over a hundred years. Beginning in 1917 as a volunteer organization and progressing to 1945 when the first paid firefighter became employed by the city of Grand Prairie, our agency has grown to the current staffing level of 239 paid members.
Since the completion of the first permanent fire station in 1949 located at 321 West Main Street, our city has developed a total of ten fire stations. These stations are currently staffed 24 hours a day with Firefighter/Paramedics who respond to emergencies from two double-company stations and eight single company stations. Each station is strategically equipped with top-of-the-line apparatus and equipment to serve the visitors and citizens of Grand Prairie. To be able to respond to any major incident, the Grand Prairie Fire Department houses teams specialized in Hazardous Response, Dive, Swift Water, Confined Space, and Wildland.