Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find a site location for my business?
Contact Grand Prairie Economic Development at 972-237-8160 or 972-237-8327 for information for site location searches.
How do I get a "certificate of occupancy"?

A certificate of occupancy authorizes the use of building and/or vacant land.

Download Certificate of Occupancy Application (PDF)

Contact the City of Grand Prairie's Building Inspections Division for more information:

Building Inspections Division
206 W. Church St.
Grand Prairie, TX 75050

How do I register my business name?

Assumed Name / Doing Business As (DBA):

Register your business name in the county or counties in which you will do business.

Dallas County Clerk, Assumed Name (DBA)

Tarrant County Clerk, Assumed Name (DBA)

State Requirements for Assumed Business Name Certificate

A domestic or foreign corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or other foreign filing entity that regularly conducts business or renders a professional service in this state under a name other than its legal name (the name stated in its certificate of formation or comparable document) must file an assumed name certificate with the secretary of state and with the county clerk in the appropriate county.

Contact the Texas Secretary of State Office for information: 512-463-5555.

What licenses and permits do I need?

The City of Grand Prairie does not issue or require a "business license."

You will need a certificate of occupancy for your place of business (contact the city's Building Inspections Division, 206 W. Church St., 972-237-8230). If you are working out of your home, you may also need to obtain a certificate of occupancy.

For food establishments, a health permit is required.

For alcohol sales, an alcohol permit is required.

For information on other licenses and permits, see the Licenses and Permits webpage.

Does the city offer grants or loans to businesses?
The city of Grand Prairie does not offer grants or loans to businesses. City Council-approved incentives may be available, depending on added taxable investment and added jobs. Visit our Incentives webpage to learn about incentive programs offered by the city.
What is required for restaurants?

Food service permits are issued by the City of Grand Prairie Environmental Quality Division.

Visit the Food Service Permits webpage for more information.

Do I need a sales tax permit?
Visit the Texas Comptroller Texas Online Tax Registration webpage for information on sales tax permits.
Who handles taxes on business personal property?

File your Business Personal Property (BPP) rendition (April 15th deadline each year) to county appraisal district.

Tarrant Appraisal District (TAD)
2500 Handley-Ederville Road
Fort Worth, TX 76118-6982

Dallas Central Appraisal District (DCAD)
2949 North Stemmons Freeway
Dallas, TX 75247
Customer Service: 214-631-0910
Main Switchboard: 214-631-0520

How do I promote my new business?

Contact the Grand Prairie Chamber of Commerce for information on becoming a member and resources on marketing, networking and ribbon cuttings for your new business in Grand Prairie.

Location: 900 Conover Drive, Grand Prairie, Texas 75051

Phone: 972-264-1558