Garbage Collection Guidelines
All garbage and recycling must be set out by 7 a.m. on your scheduled collection day but no earlier than 8 p.m. the night before your collection day.
There will be no Garbage or Recycling collection on Holidays. View Grand Prairie's Garbage / Recycling Holiday Schedule.
You can report a problem with garbage collection by calling 972-237-4550 Monday-Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. or report issue online.
Place all garbage in plastic bags (not in boxes or other unsecured receptacles), making sure the bags are secured tightly to prevent the scattering of waste materials.
Use any color plastic bags for garbage except blue or red.
Republic Services will pick up one cubic yard of garbage per visit.
Broken Glass or Needles
Nobody likes to get cut with broken glass or stuck with a needle and neither do our friendly garbage collectors. Please follow these easy steps before setting your garbage at the curb:
- Place any needles in an empty laundry detergent jug or other container before disposal.
- Wrap any broken mirror glass in newspaper and tape before placing in a garbage bag or in a box marked "broken mirror."
- Place any broken bottles or jars in a cardboard box clearly marked "broken glass."
To schedule a free curbside pick-up of bulky waste items, call Republic Services at metro 817-261-8812.* This is a free service and available weekly.
Bulky items only include old or unwanted appliances and furniture such as washers, refrigerators, sofas and chairs. Carpet, fencing, and building materials are not considered Bulky items. These items are construction and demolition wastes and can be taken to the Grand Prairie Landfill.
*Hold times for Republic can be 20 to 30 minutes during high call volume.
The city offers two ways for your cut brush to be collected at your residential property:
- You can cut and bind brush into bundles and place at the curb on your regular garbage pickup day for Republic Garbage Services to collect. The bundles must weigh no more than 50 pounds and be no longer than 6 feet.
- Or you can stack your brush at the curb during your brush zone pickup week for the city's brush crew to collect. This once-per-month service provides curbside pickup of tree limbs, brush, and firewood that are not bundled or bagged, no larger than 10 inches in diameter, no longer than 5 feet in length, and the pile no larger than a VW Beetle. Visit the Brush Program Information page for your schedule and pickup guidelines.