Welcome to the City of Grand Prairie!
Grand Prairie is a premiere community conveniently nestled in the middle of Dallas/Fort Worth. The City offers amenities appealing to young professionals, growing families and seniors alike. With an affordable cost of living, beautiful neighborhoods, exceptional public schools, thousands of acres of parkland and a welcoming, friendly spirit, you can live life grand in Grand Prairie!
We Live Life Grand here – about 189,430 residents call Grand Prairie home, and we’re still growing. Grand Prairie is the 15th largest city in Texas and the 125th largest city in the United States, but we still have small town values.
An Award-Winning Place to Call Home
Did you know you live in one of the most sought-after places in Texas and the U.S.?
1st Best Place to Retire in U.S.
2nd Happiest City in Texas
5th Best for First-Time Homebuyers in Texas
7th Safest Large City in Texas
7th Happiest City in the U.S.
Top 50 in U.S. Best Place to Raise a Family
- Opened the wave pool at Epic Waters.
- Continued construction of I-20 and I-30 frontage roads, and the addition of north and south bound lanes on SH 360 from I-20 to I-30.
- Opened an expanded and renovated Warmack Library, Charley Taylor Recreation Center and Prairie Paws Adoption Center.
- Opened Palace Parkway extension from Belt Line Road east to I-30.
- Implemented a facial recognition software program for police to more effectively identify wanted persons.
- Began widening great southwest parkway from four to six lanes from Sara Jane to Mayfield Road (complete 2020).
- Welcomed more than 50 new restaurants and retail stores along SH 161.
- Opened Firehouse Gastro Park Restaurant in historic Fire Station #1.
- Renovated Fire Station #6; replaced Fire Station #4.
- The GROW Butterfly Garden at Warmack Library.
- Shade structures at McFalls pool.
- 40 cameras throughout the city for GPPD Real Time Crime Center.
- WiFi to an additional camping loop at Loyd Park.
- SAFER grant to hire six new firefighters.
- American Heart Association Gold Award for EMS response time for the 5th year.
- Trinity Blackland Urban Forestry Council award for Grand Tree University.
- AIA Merit Award for outstanding architectural design for Charley Taylor Recreation Center.
- “Best of the Knot” award for 7th straight year at the Ruthe Jackson Center.
- Record membership levels at The Summit of 5,500 members.
- Several wall murals to further beautify downtown.
- GPPD Drone Unit to increase criminal apprehensions and enhance officer safety.
- Remote arraignment process to expedite transfer of inmates at a hospital to the county jail.
- Improved pet adoptions by 27%; and returned 1,210 pets to their families.
- Rugby and cricket fields.
- Part 1 crimes since 2010 by 47%.
- With 167 special events throughout Grand Prairie.
- Building Blocks home improvement rebate program.
- Low cost vaccination clinics at Prairie Paws Adoption Center.
- The Clean Prairie initiative – Pride of Ownership and Occupancy, designed to improve cleanliness across the city.
- The GPPD Success Closet to help those in need dress for success.
- A GPPD Basketball Skills Camp at Dalworth Rec Center.
- The Cops, Cuts and Curls Community Policing initiative to talk with citizens though interactions at salons and barber shops.
- The GPPD Fit Force program for police officers based on: physical, financial, spiritual and emotional wellness.
- Mayor’s Mentors in partnership with Big Brothers Big Sisters.
- City employees pet insurance.
- First year at The Epic Fitness, Arts and Entertainment Center.
- Bunker renovation at Tangle Ridge Golf Course.
- Bridal suite at the Ruthe Jackson Center.
- First city-wide volunteer recognition event.
- First Labor/Trade Job Fair; filling 86% of eligible city public works positions.
- Successfully trained the first ever Fire Pipes and Drums team.
Open PlayGrand Adventures, a playground for people of all abilities.
Manage resources within the 3.5% property tax cap imposed by the state of Texas, which could mean service cuts in future years.
Implement new online permitting software for planning, zoning, building inspections and code compliance.
Promote the 2020 Census to accurately count Grand Prairie residents, securing vital federal funding.
Ask voters whether or not to continue the ¼ cent Crime Control District Sales Tax.
Through a private-public partnership, develop two hotels with a conference center and restaurant row in Epic Central Park.
Expand the Lone Star Trail west from Belt Line Road to Wildlife Parkway; build the Great Southwest Nature Park using land that was formerly the Great Southwest Golf Club.
Widen Seeton Road from Mira Flores to Day Miar Road, from two-lane asphalt to three-lane concrete road.
Widen Camp Wisdom Road from Carrier Pkwy to Belt Line (FM 1382) from the existing two-lane asphalt road to a four-lane concrete road.
Begin construction to replace Fire Station #3.
Open a new City Hall, linking existing City Hall to Development Center; and remodel Development Center.
Equip all fire stations with instant access to emergency call information and map location on video monitors.
Grand Prairie is full of grand experiences! Whether you stop in for lunch at one of the great restaurants downtown or spend a full day out on Joe Pool Lake, share your memories with us. Use #LiveLifeGrandGP on all social media to show how you experienced life in Grand Prairie! If you’re a resident, take a moment to fill out your grand story, here.
Grand Prairie recently welcomed more than 50 new restaurants and retail stores along SH 161, and development continues at a brisk pace. The city offers a vibrant lifestyle, with the best parks in the nation, more amenities than most, affordable to affluent housing and friendly neighbors.
City employees work hard to ensure Grand Prairie is known as an organization that creates Raving Fans by delivering world-class service. Our employee family and elected officials constantly live our values, aggressively move toward our vision and are always looking for ways to make the business of running a city even better. The hard work, positive input and optimism of all our city employees all play a key role in our success. We look forward to you joining our team!
Grand Prairie is "Party Central"
Throw an unforgettable birthday party in Grand Prairie with special packages at Epic Waters Indoor Waterpark, Main Event, The Epic and more.
We have attractions that draw almost 10 million visitors a year to:
AirHogs Minor League Baseball Team
Stadium features a Wide World of Parks Kids Zone, restaurant/sports bar, cigar bar and swimming pool.
Epic Waters Indoor Water Park
Showcasing 80,000 square feet of year-round water fun referred to as a “cruise ship on land”.
Firehouse Gastro Park
Retired Fire Station No. 1 was restored into a unique restaurant and bar in Downtown Grand Prairie.
Joe Pool Lake
Enjoy a wide variety of campsites, full-service marina, group picnic sites, beaches, volleyball, playgrounds and Lakeside Bar!
Lone Star Park
A Class I horse racetrack home to the multi-million dollar simulcast racebook, sports bar and event venue, Bar & Book.
Ripley's Believe It Or Not!
Showcases eye-popping galleries displaying the most beautiful, bizarre and fascinating oddities from around the world.
Shopping in Grand Prairie
Featuring a wide range of shopping options including IKEA, Living Spaces and the Premium Outlet Mall
Recreation center showcasing fitness, game room, pool, kids splash area, culinary, recording studio, a theater and more!
The Summit Active Adult Center
State-of-the-art fitness training, indoor infinity edge pool with lap lanes and exercise vortex, theater, game room and sauna.
The Theatre at Grand Prairie
Designed to accommodate a wide range of stage productions, including pop, rock, country, comedy, magic and more!
Uptown Theater in Grand Prairie
Fully-restored 1950s performing arts center hosting national touring stage shows & concerts.
10-acre, all-accessible playground is an exciting opportunity to provide a safe and fun playground experience for all ages and abilities. To open late 2019