Grand Prairie is a premiere community conveniently nestled in the middle of Dallas/Fort Worth. The City offers amenities appealing to young professionals, growing families and seniors alike. With an affordable cost of living, beautiful neighborhoods, exceptional public schools, thousands of acres of parkland and a welcoming, friendly spirit, you can live life grand in Grand Prairie!
Grand Prairie is home to The Summit, a premiere fitness and lifestyle center for active adults; city services and programs that have earned numerous awards for excellence; a public school district that focuses on choice; the amazing and award-winning Epic Waters Indoor Waterpark, and soon-to-open Epic life-changing center for all ages.
An Award-Winning Place to Call Home
Did you know you live in one of the most sought-after places in Texas and the U.S.? Grand Prairie received commendations throughout 2017 and has already received awards in 2018.
- #2 Happiest City in Texas and #10 Happiest City in U.S., according to WalletHub.com
- Least Hipster City in U.S. (we’ll take happiest over hipster!), MoveHub.com
- 10th Safest Major City in Texas, as ranked by the FBI (of 34 cities with 100,000+ population)
- One of the eight Most Incredible Indoor Waterparks in the U.S., thanks to Travel Channel
- 2nd Most Fun Indoor Waterpark in Texas, as ranked by Texas Hill Country
- Libraries Change Communities Award, awarded by Texas Library Association
- 2nd Gold Medal for Best Parks in USA, National Recreation and Parks Association
- #1 Farmers Market in Texas and ranked in the top 10 nationally for the third year by American Farmland Trust
- Top 50 in U.S. Best Place to Raise a Family according to WalletHub.com
- #9 Most Inexpensive Place to Retire in U.S., according to MoneyWise
- #13 Best City for Hispanic Entrepreneurs in U.S., WalletHub.com
- Playful City USA award from KaBOOM
- Hall of Fame Winner awarded to Ruthe Jackson Center, courtesy of The Knot
- #5 Best City in Texas for first-time homebuyers, WalletHub.com
- Best tourist center in DFW, VisitDFW.com
Top 10 Events of 2017
Grand Prairie accomplished a lot last year! Here are just a few of the amazing things that happened in 2017.
- Opened IKEA in December
- Won the "Best Parks in the Nation Gold Medal" from the National Recreation and Parks Association
- Achieved "Best in the Nation" for fire response and an ISO 1 rating
- Began Prairie Paws Animal Adoption Center expansion
- Launched the Grand Prairie Police Bicycle Unit at special events and hotspots
- Added body-worn cameras to Grand Prairie code and police officers
- Celebrated the Grand Prairie Fire Department's 100th anniversary
- Renewed the quarter-cent sales tax for street improvements through the next eight years
- Achieved "Family Place Certification" at the Main Library
- Began relocation of utilities for new Interstate 20 frontage roads from State Highway 360 to Belt Line Road
Big. Epic. Grand!
The Big Event: On March 24, 2018, more than 1,200 of your friends and neighbors came out in a big way to launch our annual city-wide volunteer day, called the Big Event. It was a huge success, and was modeled after the highly successful initiative founded at Texas A&M University. Grand Prairie is the first municipality to launch a Big Event that involves serving others through yard work, home maintenance and clean-up. We’re excited that the Grand Prairie Big Event will be even grander next year!
FireHouse Gastro Park: Coming in Spring 2019, FireHouse Gastro Park will open in the historic retired Fire Station No. 1 in downtown. The new eatery will house a restaurant and bar with artisanal food options using local ingredients. Outdoor seating and a stage will round out the amenities of this exciting new venue.
Epic Waters Indoor Water Park: Grand Prairie’s very own “cruise ship on land” opened in January 2018! Epic Waters Indoor Waterpark features a colossal retractable roof, 11 slides and attractions and Texas’ longest indoor lazy river. Experience the twists and turns of three first-of-their-kind slides, a FlowRider® surf simulator, a fun-filled children’s area with a 300-gallon tipping bucket and more all year, rain or shine! More than 250,000 attendees have already experienced the fun. When are you taking your family?
Just the Start of 2018
So far, the year has been jam-packed with things to celebrate. Here's a quick guide to all that's happened, so far.
- Opened Epic Waters Indoor Waterpark
- Celebrated the expansion and remodel of Shotwell Library
- Initiated construction of frontage roads on Interstate 20
- Expanded MacArthur Boulevard lanes north of Interstate 30
- Launched the inaugural Big Event
- Began the Traffic Signal Art Program
- Opened the State Highway 360 to US 287 extension
- Started widening Great Southwest Parkway from four to six lanes
- Introduced H2Know, which gave residents 24/7 online water usage access
Looking Forward to More in 2018
Get ready for even more excitement happening all around town!
- Opening the expanded and remodeled Charley Taylor Recreation Center and Prairie Paws Animal Shelter in late 2018
- Welcoming more than 50 new restaurants, hotel and retail stores along State Highway 161
- Opening the outdoor wave pool at Epic Waters Indoor Waterpark
- Celebrating The Epic opening
- Discovering the GrandLawn in EpicCentral Park
- Unveiling plans for a hotel and conference center and additional restaurants in EpicCentral Park
- TxDOT will begin adding one southbound and one northbound lane on State Highway 360 from
Interstate 20 to Jefferson Street throughout 2018-2020.
Big Developments in Our Grand City
Economic development is growing here! Located in the heart of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, Grand Prairie is desirable for businesses of any size.
- Opened Premiere Lux Cinema on Westchester and Carrier Parkway
- Welcomed Methodist Health System’s new convenient care campus at Polo and Lake Ridge Parkway
- Opened the Baylor Emerus 103,891-square-foot hospital on Kingswood Boulevard and State Highway 360
- Awarded by Coca-Cola a new SmartWater production line at the Grand Prairie Dasani Water plant. Also, awarded a $33 million investment in the 25,000-square-foot expansion
- Negotiated to retain, improve or expand facilities of Fortune 500 companies Cardinal Health and Haier/GE Applianced
- Landed auto parts maker Flex-n-Gate, who acquired a 430,000-square-foot facility on Interstate 20 to house its $140 million manufacturing equipment and 600 employees (opening early 2019)
- Welcomed the Skymates Flight School at the Grand Prairie Airport, training roughly 150 pilots per year from around the world for Envoy, who operates as American Eagle, a regional carrier of American Airlines
- Welcomed Airbus Helicopters plans for the construction of a $40 million, 23,500-square-foot training center at its headquarters at Grand Prairie Municipal Airport to train more than 1,500 pilots and mechanics a year.
Your Guide to EpicCentral
Curious about all the development happening at State Highway 161 and Arkansas Lane? That 172-acre development is known as EpicCentral, and the area is booming! The Summit was the first piece of the EpicCentral plan, but there’s so much more in the works.
Epic Waters Indoor Waterpark opened in January, and it brings people from all around Texas and beyond to our great town. The waterpark has plenty of space to play and is a great site for events of any size, like birthday parties and school field trips. An outdoor wave pool will round out the waterpark’s offerings. Make sure you take advantage of special annual pass rates for Grand Prairie residents!
The Epic, a reimagined 120,000-square-foot life-changing center, will feature a premium-equipped fitness center and workout spaces, a high-tech library, theatre, recording studio, kitchen, indoor playground, artist in residence, indoor incline track, pool and more unique amenities like CrossFit classes, a cycling studio and intramural sports leagues. This is just a taste of all that will be available to The Epic members. The Epic opens later this year, so purchase your membership today!
Other Additions: The city is working on a public-private partnership to build a hotel/conference center and restaurants along State Highway 161 in EpicCentral Park, creating synergy to bring people
to stay, dine, play and gather. The goal is to break ground in 2019. Other 2019 plans include the grand opening of PlayGrand Adventures, an all-accessible playground in EpicCentral Park.
Grand Prairie is full of grand experiences! Whether you stop in for lunch at one of the great restaurants downtown or spend a full day out on Joe Pool Lake, share your memories with us. Use #LiveLifeGrandGP on all social media to show how you experienced life in Grand Prairie! If you’re a resident, take a moment to fill out your grand story, here.
Looking for events going on in Grand Prairie? Browse the community calendar, so you don’t miss your chance to make grand memories in Grand Prairie!