To apply for a seat on a Grand Prairie Board or Commission, download and fill out application, or call the City Secretary’s Office at 972-237-8035 and one will be mailed to you.
Members of boards and commissions are appointed by the mayor and city council for two three-year terms. Except as follows, and except for appointees to the Grand Prairie Sports Facilities Development Corporation, no person shall serve more than two (2) consecutive three-year terms on any board or commission or agency, nor more than six (6) consecutive years unless the city council by a three-fourths vote of all council members shall waive this limitation for a specific appointment.
Appointees are selected in July each year and as vacant positions need to be filled. If the board has nine members, the mayor and each council member appoint one member. Terms for 9-member boards run concurrently with the term of office of the Council Member who appointed them.
Board and commission members are appointed by city council majority vote if the membership consists of more or less than nine individuals.
Each board and commission establishes its own attendance rules, regulations and methods of enforcement. Any member who is absent from three consecutive regularly scheduled meetings can be removed from office and replaced by the city council.
Citizens may only serve on one board or commission at the same time.
All new board members must take the State of Texas Open Meetings Act Training class online.
Boards and Commissions Calendar
- Animal Shelter Advisory Committee
- Building Advisory & Appeals Board
- City Council Agendas/Minutes
- Civil Service Commission
- Commission on Aging
- Crime Control and Prevention District
- Housing/Community Improvement Commission
- Keep Grand Prairie Beautiful
- Library Board
- Local Government Committee
- Park Board
- P&Z Agendas/Minutes
- Public Health Advisory Committee
- Sports Facilities Development Corporation
- Zoning Board of Adjustments & Appeals Agendas
- Zoning Board of Adjustments & Appeals Minutes
- Tax Increment Financing (TIFs) Board