Garbage and Recycling Schedule
The City of Grand Prairie provides garbage collection to each residence twice a week. Recycling collection is on one of your regular garbage days. Separate trucks pick up garbage and recycling.
All garbage and recycling must be set out by 7 a.m. on your scheduled collection day but no earlier than 8 p.m. the night before your collection day. (If collection in your neighborhood usually happens later in the morning/afternoon, your garbage/recycling pickup times might be changing Learn more about new garbage collection times).
There will be no garbage or recycling collection on the following dates:
- Monday, Jan. 1, 2019 (New Year's Day)
- Monday, May 27, 2019 (Memorial Day)
- Thursday, July 4, 2019 (Independence Day)
- Monday, Sept. 2, 2019 (Labor Day)
- Thursday, Nov. 28, 2019 (Thanksgiving Day)
- Wednesday, Dec. 25, 2019 (Christmas Day)
- Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2020 (New Year’s Day)
If one of these holidays falls on your garbage or recycling collection days, there will be no makeup collection for the holiday. Please set out your garbage and/or recycling on your next regularly scheduled collection day.
According to City Ordinance:
Eligible for a one-dollar ($1.00) discount are water account customers aged sixty-five (65) and older with the account in the senior citizen's name and certified by ad valorem tax exemption, and permanently disabled customers eligible for transportation with city services for the disabled with the account in the disabled citizen's name. When a customer has an active water bill account with the city, the charges shall be due and payable simultaneously with charges for water service.
Garbage Collection Guidelines
- Use any color plastic bag for garbage except blue or red.
- Do not put garbage in trash cans or any container except plastic bags. Containers will be taken with garbage.
- Nobody likes to get cut with broken glass or stuck with a needle and neither do our friendly garbage collectors. Please follow these easy steps before setting your garbage at the curb:
- Place any needles in an empty laundry detergent jug or other container before disposal.
- Wrap any broken mirror glass in newspaper and tape before placing in a garbage bag or in a box marked "broken mirror."
- Place any broken bottles or jars in a cardboard box clearly marked "broken glass."
Recycling Collection Guidelines
- Use an 18-gallon recycling bin.
- See the Curbside Recycling Program for more information.
To schedule a free curbside pick-up of bulky waste items, call Grand Prairie Disposal at metro 817-261-8812. This is a free service and available weekly.
Bulky items only include old or unwanted appliances and furniture such as washers, refrigerators, sofas and chairs. (Carpet, fencing, and building materials are not considered Bulky items. These items are construction and demolition wastes and can be taken to the landfill.)
Brush and Yard Waste
Dallas County Residents
For your tree limbs and brush to be picked up with your regular garbage, just bundle into 6-foot lengths no larger than 1 cubic yard and no heavier than 50 lbs, and place it next to your household garbage. If you have contractors that cut and prune your trees and shrubs, make sure the limbs are either cut and bundled or taken to the landfill by the contractor.
Bagged leaves and shrubs will be collected with household garbage, but not grass clippings. Grass clippings can simply be left on your lawn or used as compost for gardens. (For information on the “Don’t Bag It” Yard Care or Master Composter programs, call 972-237-8061 or e-mail email@example.com.)
For the convenience of Grand Prairie residents, the City operates a Brush Pickup Program. This once-per-month service provides curbside pickup of tree limbs, brush, and firewood that are not bundled or bagged. This is for brush, tree limbs and firewood that is too large for the City's twice weekly garbage collection.
Tarrant County Residents
Because of a state mandated quarantine due to the Emerald Ash Borer Beetle, you can no longer cut, bundle, or bag, brush and tree limbs with your regular weekly garbage collection.
To assist the Tarrant County residents of Grand Prairie, BRUSH, TREE LIMBS and FIREWOOD will be collected by the City's Brush Services Crew and disposed of inside Tarrant County. These items will be picked up during the regularly scheduled once-per-month ZONE service.
Learn more about the Emerald Ash Borer Beetle and the Tarrant County QUARANTINE.