Description of Position
A public Safety Officer (PSO) is a uniformed, non-sworn, part-time employee. PSOs may be assigned to any bureau, division or unit within the Police Department and are not guaranteed a permanent assignment. PSOs are assigned according to the needs of the Department and any PSO serving in a specific assignment is subject to transfer.
- The term of the internship is two (2) years, but may be extended to three (3) years (not including tuition/books) upon approval of the Chief of Police.
- Interns will be required to attend at least 12 college hours per semester and maintain at least a 2.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
- Grade reports will be submitted to the Intern’s administrative supervisor each semester.
- PSOs will not carry a firearm.
- PSOs will be required to complete the approved field training and drivers training course.
Intern Selection Process
The application process will include:
- Completing the Grand Prairie Police Department Personal History Statement;
- submitting an essay relating to why the applicant would like to intern at the Grand Prairie Police Department;
- completing a pre-polygraph interview;
- thorough background check;
- and successful completion of an assessment panel.
- Work nineteen (19) hours per week @ $10.00 per hour.
- Tuition/Books up to $2,750.00 per year, for two years.
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age and eligible to enroll in college.
- Must live in Grand Prairie.
- Must have a valid Texas Driver’s license.
- Must not have received more than two (2) moving traffic violations or had two preventable accidents, or any combination in the past eighteen (18) months or four (4) in the past thirty six (36) months.
- Must have proof of minimum motor vehicle liability insurance.
- Must pass a drug screen.
- Must pass a polygraph and psychological exam.
- Must successfully complete the application and background process.
Job openings for the Public Safety Officer position will be posted on the City of Grand Prairie Career Opportunities website.
Call Lt. Mike Fleming at 972-237-8807 for more information.