- The Grand Prairie Police Department offers a lateral entry program for experienced officers and a take-home car program for patrol officers
- Lateral applicants shall have at least a Bachelor′s degree with at least a 2.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) from a college or university accredited by the United States Department of Education or Council for Higher Education by the time of their hire date with the Police Department,
- Be eligible for certification from TCOLE (Texas Commission on Law Enforcement) AND
- By the time of hire as a Police Officer, possess at least thirty (30) college semester hours AND two (2) years of any of the following:
1) experience as a regular full-time peace officer with arrest powers for a law enforcement agency ; OR
2) active duty military experience in accordance with the definition of Military Service Credit listed in Section 2.1 (e); OR
3) experience in a Grand Prairie Police Department non-civil service position; OR
4) any combination of experience totaling at least two (2) years from items 1, 2, and 3 above.
- Military police experience does not count as regular full-time peace officer experience.
- Lateral applicants must successfully complete each step in the Civil Service hiring process in the same manner as any other applicant. Lateral police officers who are TCOLE certified will be eligible for an abbreviated training program. This consists of eight weeks of updates on policies and procedures.
- The probationary period for lateral officers shall be 12 months, except that it shall be 18 months if they are required to attend the Basic Police Academy.
For more information on the Lateral Entry Program, call 972-237-8690 or email firstname.lastname@example.org