Communications Specialist I and II
Join the team of highly trained Communications Specialists at the Grand Prairie Police/Fire Department. We offer highly competitive pay, shift differential pay, language pay, and supplied uniforms. We are based in our new, large, beautifully decorated Communications Center located in the Grand Prairie Public Safety Building.
Description of Job Duties
Communications Specialists work 12 hour shifts handling emergency communications consisting of telephone, radio, teletype and other related equipment according to policies and procedures; dispatch Police officers and Fire/EMS by prioritizing and relaying information in a timely and accurate manner; answer all incoming lines both non-emergency and 9-1-1 receiving accurate information such as location and what type of an emergency in a calm professional manner; provide pre-arrivals instructions during medical situations and provide general information; provide, analyze, and request data via TLETS/NLETS and TCIC/NCIC. Performs other duties as required and assigned.
|Communications Specialist Pay - Innovative Skill Based Pay Plan|
|Skill Based Pay Plan||Salary Per Year|
|Communications Specialist I||Starting: $34,455 yr
Top out: $46,524 yr
|Communications Specialist II||Starting: $47,413 yr
Top out: $57,628 yr
|Communications Supervisor||Starting: $60,607 yr
Top out: $70,046 yr
|Hourly Salary: $16.56-$33.67|
- Applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent;
- must be a U.S. citizen;
- at least 18 years of age;
- type a minimum of 35 wpm;
- 1 year of customer service experience
- Communications Specialists must have the ability to think clearly and remain calm under pressure or urgency;
- must be able to follow instructions;
- ability to properly handle several tasks at one time and demonstrate good judgment;
- must be able to work in a team environment;
- must be able to work shift work, weekends, holidays, and attend schools when requested.
Applicants must possess a valid Texas driver’s license and have no more than two events (moving violations or accidents) in the 24 months preceding the date of application. Out of state applicants may apply, but must obtain a Texas driver’s license upon employment with the city.
- Applicants will undergo a background investigation.
- Applicants with felony convictions will not be considered for employment;
- applicants cannot be on probation for any offense on the date of application;
- no DWI/DUI convictions within the last 120 months/10 years;
- and no applicant may be certified as eligible for appointment to the position of Communications Specialist whose drug usage does not comply with those standards set by the City of Grand Prairie Civil Service Commission.
All applicants must provide the following documentation at time of application:
- Birth Certificate (original or certified copy);
- Form DD-214
Job openings are posted on the City of Grand Prairie Career Opportunities website.