City of Grand Prairie buildings closed to the public due to COVID-19. Get the latest information...

The Environmental Quality Division (EQD) reviews and approves permit applications for food establishments within the City of Grand Prairie. The EQD also issues construction and operating permits, and inspects establishments according to the Texas Food Establishment Rules (TFER) and the City of Grand Prairie Code of Ordinances.

In order to operate a new or remodeled Food Establishment in the City of Grand Prairie, the owner/operator must obtain a Food Service Permit from the City of Grand Prairie Environmental Quality Division.

Permit Application Procedure

  1. Submit an application for a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) to the Building Inspections Department with appropriate fees for a new business and/or change of owner.  A Building Project Review (BPR) application is required for new construction or remodeling. 
  2. Submit a health permit application to the Environmental Quality Division.
  3. Submit a solid waste verification (SWV).
  4. All applications must be presented with facility plans for review. Drawings must show a floor plan, fixture layout, room finish schedule, and plumbing riser diagram.  
  5. A pre-operational inspection by an Environmental Specialist is required prior to opening a food service establishment.
  6. Permits will be issued when the facility is complete and in compliance with the rules and regulations from the City of Grand Prairie and the State of Texas.

Applicable fees for Food Service Permits:

Application fee – new or extensive remodel $200.00
Application fee – change of owner $150.00
Health permit – duplicate or replacement $25.00
Health permit - full service $500.00
Health permit - convenience store $300.00
Health permit - other types $250.00
Health permit - additional permits $250.00

Please contact the Environmental Quality Division at 972-237-8055 if you have any questions regarding permitting for Food Establishments. 

Food Service Permits Ordinance

Food Service Permit Application Forms and Documents

Grease Trap Requirements

Maintaining your grease trap Grease interceptors or grease traps as they are commonly called, prevent certain materials from discharging to the sanitary sewer. When grease and solids enter the sanitary sewer, they can cause blockages which can result in sanitary sewer overflows (SSO’s). Often, SSO’s reach storm drains and flow to creeks, streams and rivers. The law prohibits SSO’s and it is the city’s responsibility to prevent blockages from occurring.

Food establishments that offer high fat menu items which include meat and dairy products, soups and stews, gravies and sauces, bakery items and salad (raw and prepared) are required to have grease interceptors. On August 14, 2007, new regulations regarding the frequency of service for grease interceptors was approved by the city council.

Grease interceptor service requirements for establishments that prepare or manufacture food products are as follows:

  • Food manufacturers – monthly
  • Establishments that offer fried food products – monthly
  • Fast food restaurants - monthly/quarterly (determined by meals served)
  • Full service restaurants – quarterly
  • Childcare facilities – biannually The maintenance frequency is also shown on the health permit that is issued to each food service establishment. Each facility must follow the City of Grand Prairie’s service guidelines in disposing of their grease trap waste.
  • Only use a liquid waste hauler that holds a valid permit with the city. Please request to see their permit.
  • The food establishment manager or owner must sign the manifest from the transporter.
  • The gold copy (transport receipt) should be given to the food service manager or owner immediately after the grease trap is serviced.
  • The pink copy (disposal receipt) should be returned to you from the transporter within 15 days of the maintenance of your grease trap. (THE FOOD SERVICE ESTABLISHMENT SHOULD HAVE BOTH COPIES OF THE RECEIPTS ON FILE AT THE ESTABLISHMENT)
  • The food establishment manager or owner must keep both copies for at least two years and must be available for inspection at all times.

Environmental Services Department staff will strictly enforce this ordinance. Failure to maintain grease interceptors and/or maintain records may result in either judicial proceedings and/or the facility may be required to install an industrial waste sample point and pay monitoring fees.