Permits & Policies

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Environmental Quality  |  206 W. Church St., 2nd Floor |  P.O. Box 534045  |  Grand Prairie, TX  75053
Phone 972-237-8055 |  Fax 972-237-8228

Auto Related Businesses


The Environmental Quality Division reviews all commercial building permits and Certificate of Occupancies (CO’s). Environmental Quality reviews plans to ensure that public health is protected and to ensure compliance with federal, state and city ordinances.

A building permit is required for all new construction and any type of remodeling, renovations, rehabs, retrofitting, demolitions, additions, etc. Certificate of Occupancy inspections are required prior to applicants operating their establishments or facilities. 

On all plan reviews, Environmental Quality looks for:

      • Asbestos surveys
      • Potential cross-connections with the public water supply
      • Industrial waste sample points for the sanitary sewer
      • Grease traps, if necessary
      • Compliance with federal, state and local requirements. 

Environmental Quality permits and inspects the following types of businesses and facilities (click for fee information):

If you are opening a business in Grand Prairie, you must have solid waste services before a Certificate of Occupancy is granted. View commercial garbage collection and container requirements.  Download an application for bag service or landlord verification letter.


Permit and inspection fees for the programs are as follows:

Childcare Facilities

  • Registered Childcare Homes: $50.00 annually.

Licensed Childcare Centers

  • $100.00 Day Care Centers (Application fee for new or extensively remodeled centers).
  • $1.00 per/child permit fee of $1 per child (state licensed capacity) with $30.00 minimum.
  • A Food Service permit fee as follows: Less than one hundred (100) children – fifty dollars ($50.00); one hundred (100) children to one hundred and ninety-nine (199) children – one hundred dollars ($100.00); more than one hundred and ninety-nine (199) children – two hundred dollars ($200.00). The fee shall be dependent upon a facility’s licensed capacity.

Food Establishments

(Food establishments include alcohol establishments, restaurants, bakeries, meat markets, fish or seafood markets, deli, grocery stores, convenience stores, ice and water kiosks, food warehouses, food manufactures, etc.)

Alcohol Permits

Asbestos Abatement
Childcare Permits
Food Service Permits
Liquid Waste Hauler
Municipal Setting Designations
On Site Sewage
Swimming Pools
Water Wells
  • $150.00 Change of Owner
  • $200.00 New or Extensively Remodeled
  • $500 Yearly Renewal for Full Service
  • $300 Yearly Renewal for a Convenience Store
    • $250 Yearly Renewal for Other Types (including Jolly Chef and/or food preparation trucks) and/or for additional permits
    • $50.00 Food Manager’s Card*
    • $10.00 Duplicate Food Manager’s Card*
    • $15.00 Food Handler's Card*
    • $5.00 Duplicate Food Handler's Card*
    • $25.00 Replacement Permit
    • $50.00 Late Fee (annual billing over 60 days)

    * Note: Food Manager Cards and Food Handler Cards issued by the City of Grand Prairie are valid for 2 years from date of issuance.


blank image

Alcohol Establishments

  • $30.00 Beer Retailer’s Off-Premises
  • $500.00 NEW: Beer Retailer’s On-Premises NOTE:  Fee applies to Dallas and Tarrant Counties only
  • $375.00 RENEWAL: Beer Retailer’s On-Premise-Renewal NOTE:  Fee applies to Dallas and Tarrant Counties only
  • $125.00 Beer Retailer’s On-Premises Late Hours
  • $150.00 General Class B Wholesaler’s Permit
  • $150.00 General Distributor’s License
  • $10.00 Importer’s License
  • $375.00 Mixed Beverages (after 3rd year)
  • $75.00 Mixed Beverages Late Hours (after 3rd year)
  • $375.00 Private Club Later Hours
  • Exempt Private Club Registration, state exemption from city fees
  • $125.00 Retailer Dealer’s On-Premise Late Hours
  • $937.50 Wholesaler’s Permit
  • $500.00 NEW: Wine & Beer Retailer’ Permit (On-Premise)  NOTE:  Fee applies to Dallas and Tarrant Counties only
  • $375.00 RENEWAL:  Wine & Beer Retailer’s Permit On-Premise
    NOTE: Fee applies to Dallas and Tarrant Counties only
  • $30.00 Wine & Beer Retailer’s Off-Premise $37.50
  • Wine Only Package Store Permit (issued with BF when applicant has existing license(s) within the state)
  • $37.50 Winery
  • $1,000.00 Dance Floor


Itinerant Food Vendors (Flea markets)

  • $200.00 annually (Flea Markets)

Mobile Food Vendors include Ice cream, Pre-packaged, and Mobile Kitchens

  • $250 Hot Truck
  • $200 Cold Truck
  • $175 Ice Cream Truck
  • $10.00 Additional ID Photo
  • $200 Application Fee For New Permits

Special Event Permit for Churches, Nonprofits, Grand Openings, School Events, and Festivals

  • $50.00 each booth (No charge on nonprofit organizations or City sponsored events)*

*Note: Food permits are not issued for residential garage sales.


Swimming Pools and Spas

  • $300.00 Each new swimming pool/spa application
  • $200.00 Each swimming pool and spa permit
  • $50.00 Late fee (annual permit billing)
  • $100.00 Change of owner application
  • $15. Duplicate permit


On-Site Sewage Facilities (Septic Systems)

  • $100.00 Application fee
  • $100.00 Inspection (new or existing)


Cross Connection Control

  • $ 100.00 tester registration
  • $ 25.00 testers inspection book (including tax)
  • $ 100.00 installation inspection
  • $ 50.00 reinspection of failed devices
  • $ 35.00 yearly fee / per device

Liquid Waste Haulers

  • $ 200.00 each truck
  • $ 25.00 trip ticket books (including tax)

Wells - Gas Wells

  • $5,000.00 Permit for drilling, completion and production operations with a setback of greater than 1,000 feet from a protected use or with a waiver
  • $10,000.00 Permit for drilling, completion and production operations with a setback of less than 1,000 feet from a protected use w/o a waiver
  • $3,000.00 Blanket gas well permit/each additional well
  • $600.00 Amended Permit
  • $800.00 Re-work fee (if required per Sec. 13-504(e))
  • $600.00 Operator transfer
  • $1,000.00 Annual fee (per well)

Wells - Water Monitoring

  • $25.00 Permit for installation of new residential well
  • $100.00 Permit for drilling, construction, or repair of non-residential well on private property
  • $500.00 Permit for drilling, construction, or repair of non-residential well on City property (Fees waived for local, state, and federal agencies, and their contractors. No fees for well plugging.)

For more information on permitting procedures, please call Terri Blocker at 972-237-8461.

  • Download details on double check valve assemblies and sample point details and approved cross connection device testers. 


Bacteria Samples / Drinking water

  • $ 13 per sample
  • $ 169.57 TPH soil sample

Automotive Related Businesses

  • $250 inspection fee for regular auto related business (not a salvage yard)
  • $300 inspection fee for automotive salvage yard
  • $50 automotive salvage yard bulk storage



Many areas across the country once used for industrial and commercial purposes have been abandoned - some are contaminated. Because lenders, investors, and developers fear involvement with these sites could make them liable for cleaning up contamination they did not create, they are more attracted to developing sites in pristine areas, called "greenfields." The result can be blighted areas rife with abandoned industrial facilities. These run-down areas, called "brownfields," create safety and health risks for residents, destroy civic pride, and provide ideal locations for illegal dumping.

The City, in cooperation with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), has developed a brownfield redevelopment program designed to empower citizens and property owners to work together in a timely manner to prevent, assess, safely clean up, and sustainably reuse brownfields.

Cross Connection

A cross-connection is a point in the plumbing system where the drinking water is connected to a contaminated or non-potable source. Contamination of the water supply results when the non-potable source backflows through the cross-connection into the plumbing system. For example, without a backflow prevention device, antifreeze from a heating system can backflow through a cross-connection and contaminate drinking water.


Backflow is the undesirable reversal of water flow potentially bringing contaminants into your drinking water system. The two types of backflow are back-pressure and back-siphonage. Back-siphonage occurs when there is reduced pressure in the drinking water supply line and is frequently caused by under-sized piping, plumbing repairs, a water main break, or activated fire hydrants. Back-pressure occurs when the drinking water system is connected to another, higher pressure system. Common causes are booster pumps and boilers.

Backflow Assembly Test Reports

Backflow assembly test reports are entered online. Download the guide on how testers can enter test reports into the TOKAY Web Entry system.


The potential health hazard created by a cross-connection determines the type of device required for backflow prevention. The following are common backflow preventers, methods, and uses.

Installation Requirements

  • Devices must not be installed more than five feet off the ground unless a permanent platform is provided.
  • The device must be accessible to testers.

Permit Requirements

All new installations of backflow devices require a plumbing permit from the City's Building Inspection division. Only a licensed plumber/irrigator may install or replace a backflow prevention device. Environmental Services performs inspections and tests on all new backflow device installations. To schedule a test or for more information on backflow prevention devices, call 972-237-8055.

Fireline Requirements

  • All new firelines require a Double Check Detector Assembly (DCDA).
  • Fireline assemblies can only be tested by a state certified, city registered tester who is a full-time employee of a licensed fireline contractor.

Environmental Site Assessments

The Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) requires Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs) for commercial and industrial real-estate purchases. CERCLA states that landowners are financially liable for all environmental problems associated with the storage or release of a hazardous substance on their property. An ESA is conducted to:

  • Identify existing or potential environmental hazards;
  • Identify resources with natural, cultural, recreational, or scientific values of specific importance;
  • Recommend whether further investigation is required.

Because these rules apply to municipalities, the Environmental Services Department conducts environmental assessments for the City.

Liquid Waste

The City's liquid waste ordinance was passed in 1986 and regulates the generation, transportation, and disposal of liquid wastes, i.e. grease traps, sand/grit traps, chemical toilets, and septic system wastes.

Through the annual permitting process, the Environmental Services Department ensures all liquid waste disposal companies operating within Grand Prairie have current state and city permits, maintain accurate documentation of manifests required for generation, transportation and disposal of wastes, and maintain equipment.

Approximately 65 vehicles are permitted yearly. The cost is $200 per truck permitted. In addition, purchase of a manifest book is required for all transporters with the exception of those companies disposing of only waste from chemical toilets. This requires reporting to ESD on a quarterly basis.


Petroleum Storage Tanks

Petroleum Storage Tanks (PSTs) are most frequently used to store gasoline, diesel, and oil. Products may be stored in aboveground tanks (ASTs) or underground tanks (USTs). The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates approximately 1.1 million federally regulated USTs are buried at over 400,000 sites nationwide.

Until the mid-1980s, most USTs were made of bare steel and were likely to corrode over time allowing the contents to leak into the ground and into groundwater. Such contamination of groundwater poses a significant threat to the major sources of drinking water for many Americans. As of December 22, 1999, all USTs were required to comply with new corrosion protection regulations.

Leaking ASTs have the potential to contaminate soil and surface water. For this reason secondary containment in the form of a structural containment area or double-walled tanks is required.

All PST installations and UST modifications or removals require a building permit from the Building Inspections Division. If TCEQ registration is required, proof of registration must be submitted prior to installation of tanks. A Preliminary Bulk Storage Tank Report and Tank Information Report and a copy of the TCEQ Construction Notification must be submitted for all UST modifications and removals.

Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasures (SPCC) Plans are required if fuel and oil storage capacity exceeds 1,320 gallons aboveground or 42,000 gallons underground.


Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know (EPCRA)

The Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA) of 1986 established requirements for Federal, State and local governments and industry regarding emergency planning and "Community Right-to-Know" reporting on hazardous and toxic chemicals. In Texas, the Texas Department of State Health Services administers the program known as the Tier II Chemical Reporting Program. The program’s mission is “to protect the public health and environment by providing current and accurate information about hazardous chemicals and their health effects and by ensuring that the regulated community complies with the requirements of the applicable laws and regulations”.



Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer