Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Environmental Quality  |  206 W. Church St., 2nd Floor |  P.O. Box 534045  |  Grand Prairie, TX  75053
Phone 972-237-8055 |  Fax 972-237-8228

Child 3Childcare in Grand Prairie is available through 50 commercial and church associated day care centers and approximately 74 registered child care homes. The City also has several After-school programs including the YMCA , two Boys and Girls Clubs (, and two Girls, Inc. of Tarrant County ( All facilities must be permitted through the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services ( 
In addition to state regulations, all child care providers in Grand Prairie are required to be permitted by the City of Grand Prairie.

The City requires a valid permit issued by the Environmental Quality Division to child care centers and anyone keeping unrelated children in their homes. The purpose of the permit requirement is to ensure the health, safety, and well being of children in the day care setting. The Environmental Quality Division conducts at least two unannounced inspections a year to ensure compliance with health, safety, and security provisions of the City of Grand Prairie Ordinance.

Two Types of Childcare
Child 1
Licensed Child Care Center

Licensed childcare centers are commercial and church associated establishments that care for more than 12 children under 14 years of age for less than 24 hours a day. The City of Grand Prairie has 49 permitted childcare centers.

Registered Child Care Homes

Registered childcare homes are homes that care for children in the caregiver's own residence. The caregiver takes care of no more than six children under age 14 years, Child 2plus no more than six additional school age children. The total number (counting his/her own children) is no more than twelve at any time. Group homes are homes with more than one caregiver and are not allowed in the City of Grand Prairie. There are 74 permitted registered homes. View additional tips and information.

If you have any questions or complaints about the home or center in which you place your child or an establishment that is not permitted, contact the Environmental Quality Division at 972-237-8055.