Residents can receive a free rental trap for the use of capturing feral cats for TNR. These traps are a safe, humane way to help capture feral cats for spaying/neutering to keep the cat population low in our community.
If you would like to receive a trap or need assistance with capturing a feral cat, please contact the Grand Prairie Cat Crew at 817-999-4101.
Instructions for using Transports:
- Line the cage with several layers of newspapers from the front of the cage back to the step plate. You may also add a puppy pad on top of the newspaper for padding.
- Put the food cup at the back end of the trap beyond the step plate.
- Set the trapping mechanism.
- Cover the trap with a big towel or old sheet pulled back at the opening slightly. Check the trap every 30 minutes. Never leave the trap unattended. Never leave the trap in direct sunlight or unprotected from the rain.
- Once the cat is trapped, moved him or her to a quiet location. Keep the trap covered or partially covered to help the cat remain calm. Make sure the cat is kept at a comfortable temperature as cats do not have adequate cooling systems for temperature extremes.
- If you need to hold the cat for surgery the following morning, allow food and water; remove all food after 10 p.m.
- Put a Cage Tag on your trap with your personal name/address/phone, along with the cat’s description. Any piece of paper taped on will do.
- Transport to Prairie Paws at 9:15 a.m. Tuesday or Thursday. The transport will pick up from Spay Neuter Network and take the cats to their Crandall clinic for neuter/eartip/microchip/rabies.
- Pick up time following surgery is the following day at about 9:30-10:00 a.m. Be sure to text the Grand Prairie Cat Crew at 817-999-4101 so they can keep you posted of any delays.
- After you return home with your cat, he or she may be released to your backyard or normal territory.
- If you have any questions, contact the TNR Coordinator or Director. Please return your traps as soon as you are done with them. They should be free of debris so the cat crew can clean and disinfect them.
This program is funded by a LifeSaving grant donated to Grand Prairie Animal Services from the Petco Foundation. If you would like to donate directly to the Grand Prairie Cat Crew, please visit their website.