Meet the current dogs being trained at the Dallas County Jail!
All of the dogs:
- Go through a 5-week training session and live with their trainers, handlers and caretakers in a dormitory style work camp
- Have had temperament tests and typically get along well with other dogs and people
- Are immediately available for adoption, but we ask that you wait to take them home until after their graduation
- Crate trained, house trained, and learn basic obedience
- Work on their leash skills in the program, but may need additional help after graduation
- Are up-to-date on vaccinations, spayed/neutered and heartworm negative
If you find a dog that you would like to adopt, please fill out our online adoption application. It only takes a few minutes, and you don't pay anything until you have met the dog and are ready to take him or her home.
Additional paperwork will need to be completed at the shelter.
Hiya, I'm Ollie! I'm just over a year old Labrador Retriever/Pit Bull. I’m a playful friend who loves to run and play all day. You can feel my love just by my smile alone. I'm really ready for anything - games, toys, treats... (ohhh... treats.) I'd be a great companion for those looking to add some spunk into their lives.
Hey there! I'm Kenny, a two-year-old Dutch Shepard mix. I'm extremely playful and love hanging out with people, but I'm really not that fond of other dogs. If you're looking for a fun dog to run and play with, I'm your dog!
Howdy, I'm Lilo. I'm a one-year-old Catahoula mix. I’m a great dog companion and I really love other dogs. I'm a super smart girl and am learning all my tricks in the program super fast. If you're wanting to add another dog to your family, I'd be a great girl to have!
Meet the graduate hounds of the Home for Hounds program! These hounds have completed basic training with the inmates of Dallas County Jail. They have learned commands such as "sit" and "shake", and are also kennel trained. The dogs are healthy and ready to be adopted!
Sally is believed to be a 7-year-old Black Mouth Cur Mix.
Hi, I’m Sally! I’m the older one in the group at an estimated 7 years old. Don’t let that fool you, I still enjoy running and playing as long as it’s on my terms! Before coming to the jail I shared a condo with three older dogs at the shelter. We all got along perfectly and I adored their company.
They say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks but I'm here to prove them wrong! Make sure to follow me on our social media to see all the new tricks I learn each week.