Meet the current dogs being trained at the Dallas County Jail!
All of the dogs:
- Go through a 5-week training session and live with their trainers, handlers and caretakers in a dormitory style work camp
- Have had temperament tests and typically get along well with other dogs and people
- Are immediately available for adoption, but we ask that you wait to take them home until after their graduation
- Crate trained, house trained, and learn basic obedience
- Work on their leash skills in the program, but may need additional help after graduation
- Are up-to-date on vaccinations, spayed/neutered and heartworm negative
If you find a dog that you would like to adopt, please fill out our online adoption application. It only takes a few minutes, and you don't pay anything until you have met the dog and are ready to take him or her home.
Additional paperwork will need to be completed at the shelter.
Camilla is a beautiful one-year-old Doberman-Pinscher mix, who is full of the joys of spring. She likes making new dog friends and being the leader of the pack. She is an independent woman who is not easily phased. Fun is her middle name! She would love a family who is ready for her spirited nature.
Dingo is a happy dog with tons of energy. He enjoys long walks and short sprints. Dingo is a big fan of cuddles and hugs; some say he could even be a level five clinger. Dingo is great with kids, showing great patience and love with tiny humans.
Flower is a nine-month-old American Pit Bull-Terrier mix, who is as sweet as can be! She is ready to bring joy into her new home while getting all the hugs and kisses that she can.
Kitty Kat is full of surprises! First off, even though her name is feline, she is 100% dog! Kitty likes to make new pals and would love to be someone's new best friend. She walks pretty well on a leash and seems to do well in her kennel. Taker her home and see what other surprising facts you learn about this lovely lady!
Nibbler is a lanky, fun-loving one year old Point mix. His easy-going personality and goofball antics will put a smile on anybody’s face. If it is a best friend you are looking for (whether for your dog or you), Nibbler is the perfect match.
Meet the graduate hounds of the Home for Hounds program! These hounds have completed basic training with the inmates of Dallas County Jail. They have learned commands such as "sit" and "shake", and are also kennel trained. The dogs are healthy and ready to be adopted!
Sally is a seven-year-old Black Mouth Cur mix. She's the old lady of the group, but don't let that stop you! She is super sweet and ready to spend the golden ages with a loving family.