DIY Fence Roller
Return to full list >>
How does it work?
A fence roller is put in place to prevent a dog or other animal from gaining the traction necessary to jump over the fence. It should just spin around as the animal tries to jump on it.
What you’ll need:
- Tape measure
- 2 sizes of PVC pipe (1 in inner roller & at least a 3 in outer roller)
- Steel/braided wire
- L-brackets – 4” x 7/8”
- Wire anchor locks
- Electric drill
- Bolt or wire cutters to cut the wire rope
- Measure your fence line to determine how many feet of PVC pipe and wire you’ll need. You’ll then measure out smaller sections of your fence line (such as 4ft or smaller) so you can determine how many L brackets and anchor locks you’ll need. Once you purchase your PVC pipes, use the hacksaw to cut into the appropriate lengths, leaving about ½” to ¾” leeway so the tubes can spin freely.
- Attach the L bracket to the fence, making sure the L is facing inwards toward each other for each section of fence that was measured out.
- Now you need to measure for your next L bracket on that section. Leave about ¼ in gap between the roller end and the bracket. Secure the wire on one side with the lock and thread the wire through the smaller PVC pipe. Then slide the large pipe over the smaller one and feed the wire into the other bracket. Secure the wire with a lock.
- Make sure you keep enough tension on the wire to keep the PVC pipes up and spinning freely above the fence.
- Continue until the entire fence line is complete.