Household Hazardous Waste

Grand Prairie residents have the option of bringing household hazardous waste  (HHW) to a  collection event here in Grand Prairie or to the Environmental Collection Center (ECC) in Fort Worth. 

HHW Collection in Grand Prairie

Note regarding old medicines: To comply with new regulations, old medicines (both prescribed and over-the-counter) are no longer accepted at household hazardous waste collection events. Dispose of old medicines at the Grand Prairie Police Department’s Public Safety Building at 1525 Arkansas Lane Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m.

Registration for the HHW Collection events is required and space is limited, so please register early. Register online or call 972-237-8055.

Register Online

Upcoming Collection Events

Household Hazardous Waste FAQs

What is and isn't allowed at the HHW collection events?

Accepted Items:

  • Acids
  • Aerosol cans
  • Auto fluids - antifreeze, brake, transmission, etc.
  • Batteries - household and automotive
  • Cleaning supplies and household chemicals
  • Cooking Oil
  • Craft and hobby chemicals
  • Degreasers and drain cleaners
  • Fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides
  • Fluorescent light bulbs
  • Gasoline (must be in approved container)
  • Motor oil and filters
  • Paints and stains (30 gallons max)
  • Photo chemicals
  • Pool chemicals
  • Solvents and thinners

NOT Accepted Items:

  • Commercial Waste Not Accepted
  • Ammunition
  • Appliances
  • Asbestos
  • Brush
  • Building materials
  • Bulky waste
  • Computers and electronics*
  • Explosives and fire works
  • Narcotics/Controlled substances
  • PCB oil
  • Pharmaceuticals/old medicines (bring to the Grand Prairie Police Department)
  • Printer cartridges
  • Radioactive materials (smoke detectors)
  • Syringes
  • Televisions*
  • Tires
  • Trash

*Free Electronics Recycling Collection events are scheduled usually on the same date, time and location as the Household Hazardous Waste Collection events. Visit the Recycling of Special Items Web Page for more information on recycling electronics. 

What is Household Hazardous Waste?

Any household product that you no longer want, but which should not be put in the garbage or washed down the drain, is considered household hazardous waste (HHW).

Many of these items are toxiccorrosive, or flammable. All of them have the potential to adversely impact the environment if not disposed of properly.

Toxic – has the ability to cause illness or injury if inhaled, ingested, absorbed through the skin, or injected. Toxicity is measured by how much of the substance is required to produce harmful effects. Products which may contain toxic substances include pesticides and herbicides, household cleaners, antifreeze, compact fluorescent lights, and pharmaceuticals.

Corrosive – dissolves metals or burns the skin. Household products which may contain corrosive ingredients include pool chemicals, household cleaners, rust removers, and drain openers.

Flammable – ignites more easily or at lower temperatures. Common flammable products include gasoline, solvents (mineral spirits, paint thinner, nail polish remover), adhesives, charcoal, and mothballs. Some items, such as bleach and hydrogen peroxide, are not flammable, but they may help cause or accelerate combustion.

Why can’t I put it down the drain?

Greasy wastes, such as cooking oil, will clog sewer lines if poured down the drain. Others, such as cleaning and laundry products, are designed to go down the drain when used according to the directions. However, the drain should not be used as a disposal mechanism for leftover or unwanted chemicals. The wastewater treatment system can not remove all contaminants, so whatever remains goes into the rivers and lakes.

Treatment plants were not designed to remove pharmaceuticals, so medications should never be flushed or washed down the drain.


Environmental Collection Center in Fort Worth

Grand Prairie residents may drop off household hazardous waste at the Environmental Collection Center (ECC) in Fort Worth, 6400 Bridge St., near I-30 and Loop 820. The ECC in Fort Worth is open on Thursday and Friday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. A current water bill or driver’s license is required as proof of residency. For more information call the ECC at 817-392-3279.