Fair Housing

Fair Housing – It’s the Law

The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination in housing because of race or color, national origin, religion, gender, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians; pregnant women and people securing custody of children under 18) or disability. If you have been trying to buy a house or rent an apartment and believe your rights have been violated, or you feel your right to fair housing has been denied, you can file a housing complaint.

The Fair Housing Act does exempt owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units, single-family housing sold or rented without the use of a broker and housing operated by organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to members. 

How to Report Discrimination

If you think you have experienced housing discrimination, you have the following options:

Contact City of Grand Prairie Housing Office

Patrick Cornelius
City of Grand Prairie Housing & Neighborhood Services
205 W. Church St
Grand Prairie, TX 75050

Submit Online Complaint Form to HUD

Fill out the HUD Form 903 Online Complaint Form.

Send Letter to HUD

Alternatively, you can write a letter to U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and include the following information:

  • Your Name and Address
  • When (date) the discrimination occurred
  • Name and Address of all persons who discriminated against you
  • Address of where the discrimination occurred
  • Short description of why you feel your housing rights were denied
  • Mail letter to the address listed above [what address?]

Learn more: HUD's Fair Housing Complaint Process(PDF, 45KB)