Physical activity is an essential component of a healthy lifestyle and exercising outdoors has many benefits. When the sun hits our skin, it creates vitamin D3, important to bone health and metabolic function. In addition, exposure to sunlight during the day can help you sleep better at night, improve immune function and increase endorphin production— those feel-good hormones circulating throughout your body. Exercising outside may also increase your exercise time as you are less likely to get bored with the outdoor scenery.
6 Benefits of Exercising in Nature:
- Fresh Air has more oxygen
- Greenscapes raise serotonin levels
- Triggers primal regions of our brain and psyche
- More sensory stimulation
- Increases feelings of well being and lowers depression
- Sun exposure increases vitamin D levels and helps optimize hormones
Don’t forget that while exercising outside, always apply sunscreen and insect repellent.