Make Healthy Food Choices
- Eat three main meals every day.
- Don't skip breakfast or other meals to try and lose weight; this can lead to over eating at the next meal or snack.
- Choose a wide variety of foods from each food group. Learn more from ChooseMyPlate.gov.
- Decrease your portion size – eat less at meals.
- Wait 20 minutes after you have finished eating to decide if you need a second serving.
- Enjoy meals with your family at the table with the TV switched off. Distractions such as TV can cause you to overeat.
- Recipes for Healthy Kids (USDA)
- The Healthy Lunchtime Challenge Cookbook: 54 Winning Recipes from America's Junior Chefs (ChooseMyPlate.gov)
- Recipe Finder Cookbook: Children's Favorites (USDA's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)