Grand Prairie Fire Department Mission

Dedicated Fire employees promote public safety by conducting prevention activities, emergency response, and pre-hospital care for the citizens, visitors and businesses of Grand Prairie to improve and protect the quality of life by reducing injuries and loss of property in a prompt, reliable, and courteous manner.

Our History

The Grand Prairie Fire Department has been in existence for 92 years.  Beginning in 1917 as a volunteer organization and progressing  to 1945 when the first paid firefighter became employed by the city of Grand Prairie, our agency has grown to the current staffing level of 200 paid members and seven volunteers.

Since the completion of the first permanent fire station in 1949 located at 321 West Main Street, our city has erected a total of nine fire stations.  These stations are currently staffed 24 hours a day with 61 personnel on-duty who respond to emergencies from three double-company stations and six single company stations.  A total of nine engines, three aerial trucks, one command vehicle, and one air supply vehicle are available for response from these nine stations.

The Fire Department also has a total of eight ambulances – five full time and three reserved – all available for emergency response, all ambulances are staffed by certified paramedics.