Rascal the racoon, Grand Prairie Parks and Recreation mascot, shares these important water safety tips:
- Learn to swim! (Click here for info on classes.)
- Wear a life jacket, even if you know how to swim. Some are available near the beach. (For info, call the Lake Parks Administration Office at 817-467-2104.)
- Only swim in designated areas. Lake depths can change unexpectedly and hazards exist underwater.
- Do not jump in after someone who is drowning. The rescuer is often the one to drown.
- Alcohol and water sports do not mix.
- Always swim with a buddy.
- Do not boat or swim in bad weather.
- Read and obey all posted signs. Watch out for the dangerous “too’s” – too tired, too cold, too far from safety, too much sun, too much strenuous activity.
- Enter the water feet first.
- In an emergency call 911. Identify a nearby landmark to help rescuers locate you.
Click here for more water safety tips.