Skip to page body Home About Community Living Doing Business Browse by Topic I Want to... Your Government

Requirements for Restaurants

Starting a Business in Grand Prairie – Restaurants

City Requirements:

Contact Planning and Zoning

  • View Interactive Maps and select zoning layer
  • Information: 972-237-8255, Planning Division
  • Address: Planning and Development Center, 209 W. Church St., Grand Prairie, TX 75050
  • Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
  • Bring with you the name of the owner of the building and emergency telephone numbers for the owner.

Certificate of Occupancy
(authorizing the use of building and/or vacant land)

Food Service Permit

  1. Submit an application to the Environmental Quality Division with the following information:
    • Name of the establishment
    • Address
    • Type of operation that will be conducted
    • If alcohol will be sold, include permit type
    • Name of Owner, including driver’s license number and DOB
    • Owner’s/Partnership/Corporation physical address
    • Billing address
    • Date of application
    • Signature
  2. All applications must be presented with facility plans for review. Drawings must show a floor plan, fixture layout, room finish schedule, and plumbing riser diagram.
  3. Submit an application for a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) to the Building Inspections Department with appropriate fees.
  4. Applicable fees for Food Service Permits:

    Application fee – new or extensive remodel

    Application fee – change of owner $50.00
    Health permit – duplicate or replacement $25.00
    Health permit $225.00
  5. A pre-operational inspection by an Environmental Specialist is required prior to opening a food service establishment.
  6. Permits will be issued when the facility is complete and in compliance with the rules and regulations from the City of Grand Prairie and the State of Texas.

Food Service Permits Ordinance

For more information, visit the Food Service Permits Web page, or contact the city of Grand Prairie's Environmental Quality Division at 972-237-8055.

County Requirements:

Assumed Name / Doing Business As (DBA)
Register your business name in the county or counties in which you will do business.

Arlington branch, Tarrant County Clerk
724 E. Border St.
Arlington 76010

Dallas County Clerk, Assumed Name Section
509 Main St.
Dallas 75202

Tarrant County Clerk's Locations for Obtaining an Assumed Name (DBA)
100 W. Weatherford St.
Fort Worth 76196

Property Tax on Business Personal Property
File your Business Personal Property (BPP) rendition (April 15th deadline each year) to county appraisal district.

Tarrant Appraisal District (TAD)
2500 Handley-Ederville Road
Fort Worth, TX 76118-6982

Dallas Central Appraisal District (DCAD)
2949 North Stemmons Freeway
Dallas, TX 75247
Customer Service: 214-631-0910
Main Switchboard: 214-631-0520
E-mail (inquiries for Business Personal Property):

State Requirements:

Assumed Business Name Certificate
A domestic or foreign corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or other foreign filing entity that regularly conducts business or renders a professional service in this state under a name other than its legal name (the name stated in its certificate of formation or comparable document) must file an assumed name certificate with the secretary of state and with the county clerk in the appropriate county.

Sales Tax Permit

Marketing, Networking, Advertising, Free Website, Ribbon Cuttings

Grand Prairie Chamber of Commerce
900 Conover Drive
Grand Prairie, Texas 75051
Phone: 972-264-1558

Last updated: 3/23/2015 1:57:31 PM