Thanks to the outpouring of support,
our volunteer program has GROWN!
So much so, we get to make a few changes to make the experience even better for you and the animals you love so much!
are held the last Saturday
of each month at 1:30pm
If you are already a volunteer, I encourage you to stop in and listen, as the changes will be affecting many of our volunteers past, present and future!
Thank you for all that you do on behalf of the animals!!!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Prairie Paws Adoption Center. We rely heavily on the assistance of our caring, dedicated, and hard-working volunteers. Each and every day, our volunteers help to improve the lives of the homeless animals here at Prairie Paws Adoption Center.
There are numerous ways to assist at our shelter. Volunteers help with animal care through assisting with kennel maintenance, exercise, training, socialization and mental stimulation. They assist in helping to find good homes, foster pets that need extra time or help, as well as educating both children and adults about responsible pet ownership and kindness to animals. Volunteers also assist at many special Prairie Paws community and fund-raising events.
All volunteers must pre-register and attend an orientation. The orientation will provide you with background information about Grand Prairie Animal Services history, programs, and services of the shelter, as well as basic animal handling.
CLEAR THE SHELTERS VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
We are needing 10-15 current volunteers for our July 23, 2016 event. There is a MANDATORY Clear the Shelters Volunteer Training & Meeting on July 20, 2016 at 6:15 p.m. If you are not able to attend this training, you will NOT be able to participate on the day of our event. Please RSVP to email@example.com with the tasks you are interested in assisting.
- Assist with putting paperwork and adoption bags together
- Decorate donation jar
- Training Meeting refreshments (purchase drinks/snacks)
Day of Event Tasks
- Assist with photographs of adopters
- Handing out applications & clipboards during pre-screening
- Assist adopters/ visiting rooms/ kennel cards
- Large dog cleaning monitor
- Small dog cleaning monitor
- Cat room monitor/greeter assistant
- Assist adopters waiting outside
GROUP VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Prairie Paws Adoption Center has volunteer opportunities available for corporate and other service groups seeking special projects to benefit the organization. Projects typically include special events (lemonade stand at shelter, etc.), donation drives and shelter maintenance projects.
Current group volunteer needs:
Corporate volunteers and group volunteers are encouraged to arrange a third party fundraiser or supply collection to benefit the shelter animals. Visit the Wish List for a list of supplies that we currently need. For details on how to organize and conduct a successful fundraising event, visit the third-party fundraising page.
Volunteering with friends can be fun!
Do you have a group of friends, co-workers, or students who want to volunteer together for a service project?
Here's how it works:
- We currently offer group volunteer opportunities on Friday or Saturday mornings from 9 a.m. to noon. (We may be able to accommodate special date requests, but cannot guarantee it)
- Ideal group size is 6-15 volunteers
- All volunteers in the group must be age 10 or older and there must be at least two volunteers ages 18 or older in the group. (Exception: student project groups with all volunteers age 16 or older may be accepted with only one chaperone)
- All volunteers in the group must wear closed-toed shoes and long pants - please be prepared for the weather and dress accordingly
Group volunteers do no interact directly with or handle shelter animals.
Group volunteers will be able to see shelter animals, but do not handle them. For safety reasons, working with the shelter pets requires specialized training and is not available for group volunteer initiatives. We have a dedicated team of shelter volunteers that work with the pets. If you would like to become a member of the volunteer program, learn about the current volunteer needs and apply for the position that best matches your interest and skills. However, everything that you do makes a difference here at the shelter and ultimately helps us save more lives!
Here are some of the projects your group might help with:
- Deep cleaning areas of the shelter, including washing windows!
- Organizing storage shed
- Washing dishes
- Assembling projects
Large groups take planning. We need to know at least 30 days in advance and we cannot guarantee we will have an on-site project for you, but we will see if our needs match your group’s interests.
If you have any questions or need help with hosting an event, please feel free to contact us.
*Tours of our facility can also be scheduled!
Ready to get started? Submit the volunteer application online.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 972-237-8575.