Libraries Give Parents Tools for Success
free parenting programs at the Grand Prairie Libraries
The Grand Prairie Libraries offer several parenting program series. All are free, but some may require registration. Space is limited, so please arrive on time.
Main Library: Select Tuesdays, 6:30 p.m.
For caregivers and their children. Childcare will be provided.
- February 13: Hands-Only CPR Seminar. Be the difference for someone you love. Join us for this free, hands-only CPR seminar brought to you by the YMCA of Dallas and the American Heart Association. CPR certification is not included.
- March 13: Protecting Your Children from Poisons. Poisons are all around us and can affect anyone, anywhere at any time of life. Protect yourself and others from being poisoned by learning what a poison is, who is at risk, and how to prevent a poisoning from happening. Workshop brought to you by Poison Help.
- April 17: Giving Meaningful Feedback to Your Child. Do you struggle to give more than a “good job” or “well done” to your child? Do you feel you may hurt their feelings if you correct them? Parents will learn how giving meaningful feedback can help children move forward in goal setting with a growth mindset and be provided various educational settings in which to practice.
Family Place Discovery Time Workshop
Main Library: Wednesdays, March 28-April 25, 10 a.m.
For children ages 1-3 and their caregivers. Join us for this free, five-part workshop. In each one-hour session, parents will do hands-on activities where they engage directly with their children to promote emotional, physical and cognitive development. In this casual and unstructured environment, parents will have the opportunity to bond with their children through play and ask questions of our resource professionals who will be available at each session. Families are asked to attend all five of our workshops. Registration required. To register, email Mia Harris at email@example.com or call 972-237-5715.
- March 28: Emergent and Early Literacy
- April 4 : Speech and Language
- April 11: Child Development
- April 18: Nutrition
- April 25: Music, Play and Health
Understanding the Power of Words
Warmack Library: Thursdays, April 5, 12, 19, 6:30 p.m.
Join Darla Green for group activities to explore the social skill of emotional communication. Problematic behaviors decrease as words increase! For parents, caregivers and children ages 2-5.
- April 5: Little Kids, BIG Emotions
- April 12: Talking Your Tot Out of a Tantrum
- April 19: It’s Only a Matter of Time
The Grand Prairie Main Library is located at 901 Conover Dr. The Warmack Library is located at 760 Bardin Rd. 972-237-5700. Visit us online at www.gptx.org/library