Libraries keep kids sharp with STEAM
Fun STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics) programs throughout the summer help keep kids sharp and ready for school in the fall. All Grand Prairie library locations have free programs on astronomy, 3D printing, and more. We welcome special guests like Symphony Arlington, the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, the Perot Museum Tech Truck, and Kidz Science Safari.
- July 20. 3:30 p.m. at the Warmack Library: Full STEAM Ahead: Perot Tech Truck. All ages welcome. To reduce crowding, please choose one of the following timeslots:
3:30 to 4:10
4:10 to 4:50
4:50 to 5:30
Space is limited, and we will pass out free tickets before each session. If your time slot is full, you will be asked to wait for the next session.
- July 21, 4:30 at the Main Library: Wild About Engineering. Join us for this family program as engineers from Lockheed Martin's Missiles & Fire Control lead us in a hands-on STEM activity. Kids learn about the DOE (design of experiment) process when they design, create and test a styrofoam glider. For elementary ages and up.Space is limited - please arrive by 4:30, ready to get busy!
- July 25. 3 p.m. at the Shotwell Library: Full STEAM Ahead: Sun, Moon and YOU! Prepare for the Eclipse. For the first time in 26 years, a total solar eclipse will occur in our great country on August 21. Prepare for the opportunity of a lifetime - to see the most beautiful thing on the planet. We’ll talk about eclipses and build a pinhole camera for safe viewing of the eclipse in August. For kids in grades 1-5.
- August 8. 3 p.m. at the Shotwell Library: Full STEAM Ahead: Leave Your Mark on SHOTWELL. Art materials will be provided to leave your mark on designated Shotwell Library Walls. Say goodbye to our space before our remodel begins and help create a living art space.For kids in grades 1-5.
- August 9. 3 p.m. at the Main Library: Full STEAM Ahead: Block Party. Hang out with old and new friends at the library block party featuring centers with a variety of building blocks. Create amazing structures while recapping your summer! For kids in grades 1-5. Space is limited - please arrive by 3 p.m., ready to get creative!
- August 15: Noon at the Shotwell Library: Byte Size Tech. Kids in grades 3-8 are invited to learn more about 3D printing in this fun, hands-on program. Participants will be able to use 3D software to create objects and view the 3D printer in action! Spacie is limited; please arrive on time.
- August 16. 4 p.m. at the Warmack Library: Full STEAM Ahead: The Magic of Monarchs. Learn more about the beautiful travelers known as Monarch butterflies. Made possible by the Texas Wildlife Association. Space is limited, please arrive on time.
- August 19. 10 to noon at the Main Library. Summer Reading Club Grand Finale: Come join us for our final SRC program with the Perot Tech Truck and Kidz Science Safari. Get amazed by these incredible, hands-on science experiments and STEAM activities. Supplies are limited.
The Grand Prairie Main Library is located at 901 Conover Dr..
The Warmack Library is located at 760 Bardin Rd.
The Shotwell Library is located inside the Tony Shotwell Life Center, at 2750 Graham St. http://www.gptx.org/library
For more information, call 972-237-5700 or visit us online at www.gptx.org/library