Fun Food Makes a Stop at Grand Prairie Farmers Market This July
GRAND PRAIRIE – Forget fast food! Visit the Grand Prairie Farmers Market, 120 W. Main St., on Saturdays this July for fun food. The summer fun begins with hot dogs and ice cream and ends with figs and fudge. Sample the July schedule below.
Saturday, July 5, 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Grand Prairie Farmers Market, featuring fresh produce weekly, invites all to enjoy $1 Hot Dog Day. Also, the first 50 people with the secret word will receive a FREE watermelon.
Saturday, July 12, 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Calling all ice cream lovers! Farmers Market hosts its first ever Main Street Freeze Out homemade ice cream competition. Up to 30 competitors from all over the metroplex will prepare ice cream and offer samples at the market. Awards will be given for Best Overall Ice Cream, Most Unique Ice Cream and People’s Choice Award. Download a registration application and rules. For more information, call 972-237-4599 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saturday, July 19, 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Learn a thing or two about the art of barbecuing during the Restaurant Showcase featuring an instructor from a Grand Prairie classic, Eddlemon’s BBQ. The demonstration will begin at 10:30 a.m.
- Grand Prairie Arts Council and Farmers Market present “Java and Painting with Serg,” a make it and take it art class. For more information, visit artsgp.org or the Farmers Market information booth.
Saturday, July 26, 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Get figgy with it for the inaugural Mrs. Ruthe’s Fig and Fudge Fest. The city lost its legendary Grand Dame Mayor Pro Tem Mrs. Ruthe Jackson at age 92 last year. This festival will celebrate her life of service.
- Mrs. Ruthe’s figs will be available for purchase, and, in her honor, all proceeds will benefit LifeLine Shelter for Families. Other fig-based items and homemade fudge will also be sold to benefit LifeLine Shelter.
- The festival will also include a fig preserve and fudge contest and tasting. For registration information, call 972-237-4599 or email email@example.com.
- A cooking demonstration featuring figs by Chef Susan Faulkner and Mrs. Ruthe’s daughter, Councilwoman Jorja Clemson will begin at 10:30 a.m.
The Grand Prairie Farmers Market features locally grown fruits and vegetables, meats, honey, pasta, spices, tamales, candles, soaps and much more. The market is open every Saturday, March to December, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
For more information about the Farmers Market, call 972-237-4599 or visit www.gptx.org/farmersmarket.